These days due to the spread of Coronavirus Pandemic in the whole world, it has led many countries to shut down all their economic and social activities by imposing a lockdown in the entire country and has forced everyone to stay indoors for some time till the infection is cured. All the shops, salons, fitness centers are closed down just to prevent the spread of this virus among the community. In this way, we may be able to keep ourselves safe from the COVID-19 infection, but might get physically unfit or suffer from some kind of psychological problems due to being confined in our homes.
Isolation can make anyone mentally disturbed when one is not able to meet/socialize, especially in the case of old age people who are exposed to a bigger risk from not only the coronavirus but also from the side-effects of the decreased mobility which is required to keep their body functioning (especially for those, suffering from high blood pressure, heart problems, etc.)
So, this is one of the ways to fight this problem by engaging oneself in some kind of physical activity from the lists of exercises at home to be in shape and keep your body fit and healthy during Covid19. Most of us start living a sedentary lifestyle as we age slowly despite the fact of how active we were when young. But, at this time being physically active is very important for us either by going to any fitness centre, doing strength training exercises, by doing yoga sessions, by doing Crossfit, cardio, etc. any alternate method of indulgence in any physical activity.
According to researchers, it has been proved that being stationary is awful for your physical and psychological well-being, especially at this time of the pandemic outbreak in the whole world when we are stuck at home and don’t have access to our fitness centres.
Therefore, now even when you’re stuck at your home and unable to do anything, we have still come up many types of body-weight workout which you can easily perform at your home as some of these workouts require no equipment like-
- Pushups for training your chest muscle, Squats for your thighs, Pull-Ups or Chin-ups for training your wide back muscle, Burpees, Rope Jumping, Plank for training core, etc. However, if you have the lists of exercises at home like cycling nearby home then, it will be a very good option to do cardio sessions on the treadmill by running at high speed for improving your cardiovascular health.
- You can do brisk walking or climb up & down the stairs of your house, stand or walk while talking over the phone calls, rather than just sitting down. Dancing can be an additional activity which not only will keep you active but will deviate your mind and entertain you, so just turn on some of your favourite songs and start dancing with your kids.
- You can do some fat burning exercises like to cut that extra flab from your tummy like- skipping rope for 15-20 min., do 50-100 burpees, jumping squats, high-knees jump, etc.
- To freshen your mind, and soul and to bring some flexibility you can perform some yoga asana at home on a mat.
- To increase the strength of your muscles, try doing some resistance exercises by using some weight of water bottles, bricks, cylinder, backpacks, buckets, etc. or by using resistance bands, tins of baked beans, bags of rice, or flour, etc. These can be used as a substitute for the dumbbells and plates. If you don’t find them heavy enough, look for the heaviest item in your household.
- If you are an amateur or a beginner to these kinds of workouts or bodyweight workout then, start slowly by maintaining your body balance properly. For e.g., if you’re doing squats or sit-to-stand from a stationary chair, or Push-ups then you can begin by doing it against the wall, and lunges are all good lists of exercises to do at home.
For a complete workout try to incorporate both pulling and pushing movements in your regime, for e.g. doing pushups, chin-ups, and to bring intensity in your workout do alternate exercises (like performing 1 exercise after another without rest) or circuit training (doing 3 exercises of 3 different/same muscle groups without rest).
Read about HERD IMMUNITY here.
Benefits of following the lists of exercises at home:
- As we all know that human body consists of 206 bones, and the bones in our body are comprised of a dynamic structure constituting protein meshwork, strengthened by the deposition of calcium with the help of vitamin D. A part of the bone gets wear & tears on a day to day basis while new bones are being formed.
- With the wear & tear of bones, calcium absorption and deposition also happens regularly. Therefore, whenever we do muscle-strengthening from the list of exercises at home, our bones also get stronger and bigger in size due to the increased protein synthesis, making the bone trabeculae thicker and stronger.
- This also reduces the chances of bone fractures if one is doing strengthening and stretching exercises on a regular basis. However, the protein and calcium levels start depleting from our body by getting excreted through our urine if we start living a sedentary lifestyle or stop being physically active which makes our body prone to easy fractures, especially in the old age.
- Apart from this, being physically active helps in maintaining our muscle mass and bone density thus, limiting the risk of developing sarcopenia (loss of muscle mass) and osteoporosis (loss of bone thickness). In fact, when we workout, it strengthens our immune system by flushing out the toxic substances from our lungs, and airways, increasing the white blood cells circulating in our body which raises the overall body temperature, which enables our body to fight against the bacteria and infection.
- Daily workout/ exercising not only provides physical health benefits but also brings numerous psychological benefits by keeping the stress level under control since physical activity lowers the stress hormone i.e, cortisol and produces happy hormone i.e, oxytocin which makes one feel good.
- Being physically fit & active keeps the blood sugar level in control and maintains the cholesterol level by reducing the LDL & improving the HDL in our blood, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes among the elders and old aged people.
Now with training, following a healthy diet is also very important. During this COVID-19 lockdown, when everyone is indulged in making their tasty dishes at home and becoming overweight instead when they should be more physically active and follow a healthy eating regime to build their immunity to fight against the virus and diseases.
Your Guide to Healthy Eating during Covid19?
- To remain healthy during Covid19, you should incorporate a balanced diet that should have protein, carbs, good fat, & fibre for better bowel movement and digestion.
- For protein include- some egg whites, tuna/salmon fish, chicken breast, cheese, milk, sprouts, beans, legumes, lentils, soybean, chickpeas, hemp, cottage cheese, tofu, broccoli, spinach, etc.|For Carbs include- boiled potatoes, whole grain, wheat bread, rice, etc. For fat include- Dark Chocolate, Whole Eggs, Fatty Fish, almonds, walnuts, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, etc.|For fibre include- barley, oatmeal, beans, nuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and fruits such as apples, berries, citrus fruits, and pears, etc.
- You can incorporate two servings of any meats, two servings of dairy items, three servings of vegetables, two servings of organic products, and six servings of grains in your day by day diet. Additionally, make a point to expend less fats and desserts.
Tips for a healthy lifestyle during Covid19:
Monitor your portion sizes and food intake
To monitor your calories while at home during quarantine, there is a tendency of enjoying comfort treats like- Ice-Creams, chocolates, junk food like- burgers, pizzas, and soft drinks which you have to keep under the limit from becoming obese.
Clean your Refrigerator by replacing Healthy from Unhealthy Items
A sedentary lifestyle, especially during these days, just exacerbates this problem of overeating, so you should be very aware of what you are putting in your body. You can easily replace all the unhealthy food of your Refrigerator with healthy ones. Like- To satisfy your sweet tooth eat fruits like- watermelon, muskmelon, etc. instead of chocolates or ice creams. Similarly, instead of snacks go and make a quick healthy peanut chaat by adding some herbs, spices, onions, peanuts, & tomatoes. Stir them well, and enjoy it. It will make you feel full for a longer time and prevents you from snacking unhealthy. Also, will give you the much-required protein.
Avoid Binge Eating
Abstain from binge eating instead, have a small portion of healthy meals every 2-3 hours which keep your metabolism high, keeping you energetic, good for your immune system, and also prevents your body from going into a catabolic state (A state when the body breaks down the muscles for energy). It is recommended to heave 4-5 meals a day but in small proportions.
Following the old rule of excluding Carbs, choose Protein & Fiber-Rich Food
Make sure you are getting enough nutrition from all kinds of food sources like- Protein, fat, carbs, and fibre. Do not skip any source of nutrition just to be in shape. Proteins and fibre-rich foods are essential as they help you feel satiated and this ensures that you do not overeat.
Lastly, apart from all your daily work routine, and household chores, find some leisure time for yourself to entertain yourself and do whatever you want to do in that time like- listen to music, watching a movie, or painting, talk to your loved ones, friends, etc. It will relax your brain and unwind from the daily hustle and anxiety and be good for your mental health.